Sunday, April 14, 2013

Caddywhompus-EPs


I first got into New Orleans' Caddywhompus when they played at the Firehouse in Birmingham. I had some high school test the next day and Jonathan Crain told me to see them since I like cap'N jazz.  The guitarist played through basically a pile of amps, mostly practice amps fuzzed the fuck out. I bought EPs on cassette and that, along with 36 Chambers and For Cameron, was a fixture in my car's tape deck.

EPs is a collection of songs recorded whenever with titles referencing weed, sex, acid, and liquor.  Songwise, they sound almost like Cap'n Jazz with chiptunes. "Treats" starts off with an 8 bit-like intro and goes into what must be the band's manifesto, "Caddywhompus! We play for keeps." I can't help but yell that in my dorm room as I type it. "...But Not Before a Show"'s intro is truly a head-bobbing banger. Soundtrack of my summer last year. Soundtrack of your's this year. Do some research and see if they're coming to your town.
-Daniel

bandcamp
download

No comments:

Post a Comment