Thursday, May 16, 2013

Rocketship - A Certain Smile, A Certain Sadness


(this is like the only picture of this band and it looks like a VHS screen grab)

Sometimes, I'll find a band I like and then check out the label they're on's past releases and see if I can find anything I like. This is how I find a lot of great stuff from the past that I probably never would have heard of otherwise. This is how I found out about Rocketship. Slumberland Records is the label that put this debut LP out in 1996, and it's fantastic. It's easily comparable to Isn't Anything era My Bloody Valentine and The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart who have cited them as a huge influence. It's upbeat and has a super prominent organ. I fell in love with this album on the first listen and I recommend it highly. This is the only full length release that wasn't a solo project by the front man, so I'm not sure what the later LPs sound like, but definitely give this a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment